Trash, Recycling, & Open Burning

Trash Collection

The City of Cameron has a contract with R and W Container to pick up all residential solid waste. R and W Container’s phone number is 816-632-3590. The monthly cost of the residential pick-up (for once-a-week service) is added to the regular monthly utility bill.

Check the map for the day of the week the refuse will be picked up in your area. On the collection day for your area, residents will place their trash containers at the edge of the street or in the alley no later than 7:30 a.m. Exceptions may be made if the resident is incapacitated or physically unable to place their trash container at a designated place by calling R and W Container. Learn more about trash collection.

SHARPS DISPOSAL:  Needles and other 'sharps' must be placed in hard plastic containers such as milk or laundry detergent jugs and have the lids firmly attached before they can be safely disposed of in the trash.

  • DON'T throw loose needles or other sharps in the trash.
  • DON'T flush needles or other sharps down the toilet.
  • DON'T put needles or other sharps in your recycling bin - THEY ARE NOT RECYCLABLE.
  • DON'T try to remove, bend, break or recap needles used by another person.  This can lead to accidental sticks which may cause serious infections.
  • DON'T attempt to remove the needle without a needle clipper device because the needles could fall, fly off, or get lost and injure someone. 

Recycling Collection 

Recyclables have to be placed at the curb or edge of street for pick-up by 7:30 a.m. on your collection day.

City of Cameron employees collect and transport recyclables to Clinco Industries in Cameron for processing. The program is funded by a $3 monthly fee per household. 

The City of Cameron also has a Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Facility.  This facility, located at the Water Plant, 1100 W. Eighth Street is available for items to be dropped off on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of each month from 8:00 a.m. until 12:00 noon. 

To learn more about our recycling and HHW facility go to our recycling collection page. Click on the YouTube icon at the top of the page to access recycling videos from Region D Solid Waste District on the City of Cameron's YouTube Channel.

Open Burning 

The City of Cameron Code allows for open burning of yard waste from the third Saturday in October through the third Saturday of April each year. Open burning, when allowed, is subject to the following restrictions:

  • All fires must be twenty-five (25) feet from any building.
  • If the safety of the community or the public may be endangered, the City Manager may issue a temporary burning ban.
  • Sufficient firefighting material to contain any fire started under this section will be at the site of the burning.
  • If climatological conditions indicate open burning may create a health hazard, the City Manager may invoke a temporary burning ban.
  • In no event shall a fire started under this section result in a building or structure catching on fire.
  • All fires shall be on private property and not in the public right-of-way.

Citizens must fill out and submit a burn permit application for requests to burn outside the normally allowed opening burning period.

Burn Permits
Most Recent Burn Permit | View All